SELECTED SHORT STORIES
- “The Men on the Fence” in: TriQuarterly, nominated for a Pushcart Prize
- “Animal Puzzle” (print only) in: Denver Quarterly, nominated for a Pushcart Prize
- “Of Lace and Limitations” (print only) in: Prairie Schooner
- “The Brazilian Lover” (print only) in: Fiction International
- “The Truth About Knowing” in: Necessary Fiction
- “Gado Gado” in: jmww, nominated for a Pushcart Prize
Other short stories appeared in: The Doctor T. J. Eckleburg Review, Superstition Review, Mikrokosmos Literary Journal, Deus Ex Machina (in Dutch), Deshima (in French).
SELECTED PERSONAL ESSAYS
- “The Empty Space in Front of Your Hand” in: Green Mountains Review
About coincidence and how art influences life.
- “The Last Gift” in: Tin House
About my father’s euthanasia.
- “Marzipan” in: The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts
About death and the bittersweet.
- “Beach Bodies” (print only) in: Room Magazine
About the refugee crisis in Europe and guilt suppression.
- “Seven is the Hour of Water” in: Superstition Review
About friendship across borders
- “Playing the sports fan” in: Prairie Schooner
About religion, soccer, and superstition.
Other personal essays appeared in: The Pinch, The Forge, Litro Magazine, Fiction Southeast, Bending Genres, Atticus Review, and Past Ten.
SELECTED FLASH AND MICRO FICTIONS
- “Woman of the Year” in: Wigleaf
- “Woman of the Century” in: matchbook, nominated for a Pushcart Prize and Best Small Fictions
- “Mirror” in: Cincinatti Review
- “New Leader” in: Cheap Pop, selected for the Wigleaf Top 50
- “Dawn” (print only) in: Mid-American Review, finalist for the Fineline Competition
- “Clean Hands” in: Monkey Bicycle, nominated for Best Small Fictions and Best of the Net, longlisted for The Wigleaf Top 50
- “Walls” in: Electric Literature, longlisted for The Wigleaf Top 50
- “Playground” in: Bat City Review, runner up in the short prose contest judged by Ben Fountain
- “The Mindreader” in: Hobart, my first publication in English
Other flash and micro fictions appeared online and in print in: SmokeLong Quarterly, The Rupture, The Offing, Fractured Lit, Little Fiction, New Flash Fiction Review, Monkey Bicycle, matchbook, New World Writing, Jellyfish Review, Flash: the short-short story magazine, Cheap Pop, Hobart, PopShot, Flash Frontier, Connotation Press, The Mambo Academy of Kitty Wang, Blink Ink, Atticus Review, Necessary Fiction, Pidgeonholes, Ghost Parachute, Atlas and Alice, Lost Balloon, The Sunlight Press, Gone Lawn, Miracle Monocle, Heavy Feather Review, FlashBack Fiction, Spelk, Miramichi Flash, Tears in the Fence, Iron Horse, Whiskey Paper, Blue Fifth Review, Pithead Chapel, Vestal Review, Litro, PinBall, Literary Orphans, Boston Literary
- “Gado Gado,” nominated for a Pushcart Prize, in: The Best of jmww Anthology, Modern Times Publishing, 2022
- “If You Think Stars Can’t Clap You’re Not Listening” (print only) in: Legerdemain, National Flash Fiction Anthology 2021
- “Stella Is” (print only) in: Best Microfiction 2021. Originally published in The Mambo Academy of Kitty Wang
- “Breathlessness” in: Best Microfiction 2020. “At just 49 words, quite possibly the shortest horror story you’ll ever love,” wrote Katherine Valdez. Originall published in Moon Park Review
- “Overdue Elegy” in: The Bending Genres Anthology 2018/2019
- “A Tasting of European Chefs” (print only) in: Ripening, National Flash Fiction Anthology 2018. Translated into Bulgarian by Kapka Nilan in 2021
- “Swing State” (print only) in: Sleep is a Beautiful Colour, National Flash Fiction Anthology, 2017
- “The Hardest Thing” in: Iron Horse, PhotoFinish 2017, as a finalist in the flash fiction competition
- “The World on Fire” in: Crack the Spine, Best of print anthology, Vol XIV
- “Hoe de muur onder mijn hand verkruimelde” (short story in Dutch, print only) in 25 under 35, stories by young & promising Dutch and Flemish authors, an anthology edited by Said El Haji & Annelies Verbeke.
- “Het allerliefste Hoofd” (short story in Dutch, print only) in Fasten Your Seat Belt, edited by Ramon Stoppelenburg
- “De vermenigvuldiging van Valerie” (short story in Dutch, print only) in De Verleiding, edited by Susan Smit and Siska Mulder
SELECTED BOOK REVIEWS
- “Blind Man’s Bluff” by James Tate Hill in: Colorado Review
- “Wait Till You See Me Dance” by Deb Olin Unferth in: Heavy Feather Review
- “Let Our Bodies Be Returned to Us” by Lynn Mundell in: Bending Genres
- “Nothing Short Of” in: jmww
- “End of the World House” in: The Sunlight Press
Other short book reviews appeared on my website.
SELECTED OTHER NONFICTION
- “Top Ten (plus one) Best (Dead) Father Flashes” a blogpost for SmokeLong Quarterly
- “Flash Addiction” a blogpost for SmokeLong Quarterly
- “Guidelines for Non-Americans on Writing a Classic American Story, a pseudo craft article for Miracle Monocle
- Columns in Dutch for Bureau de Helling (an exchange with politician Hagar Roijackers)
- Flash essays in Dutch for the Filosofie Kalender. Available online here & here.
Other articles in Dutch appeared in Schrijven Magazine, HP De Tijd, Flow, Filosofie Magazine, En Route, Wah Wah, and local & national newspapers.